AMP

AMP
Music, Albums & Gigs Reviewed

Saturday 10 July 2010

Baby Scream Ups and Downs EP Review

 




Juan Pablo Mazzolla AKA Baby Scream and the review of ‘Ups and Downs’.
Now this is an EP but with 12 tracks it can easy be called an album for sure with plenty of real strong tracks that stand out on there own.

It kicks off with an unusual acoustic that seems odd to start an EP off with ‘Away’.
What I mean by odd is I just felt it is strange that a slow ballad starts off the EP but hey! That maybe the old DJ in me coming out that always starts the show with something more up beat so really not saying this is a bad thing it just threw me.

The track has a slight 70s feel in music style at the start (backing effects) till you have gone halfway in where it goes up a few notches to this sound that reminds me of a cross between George Harrison & Jeff Lynne.
Now I don’t like comparing to other artists with vocals or sound but that is best way for those who have not heard track to know what it sounds like to me.
Vocals on this track I can’t compare with anyone which is good as Juan’s voice is clear, smooth with great pitch and he sort of let’s you slip into this safe feeling that this is his voice (always) till later in the album you hear more stronger depths of raw energy.

Now an artist I work with compared Juan’s voice to John Lennon & even Juan admits he is aware these tones come out every now and again within tracks. Now over the years
I have spoken to many artists and I remember a few saying that they truly believe the one artist that has given you the strongest influence in life often appears within your performance often not noticed by the artist.

‘Suddenly’ this is a very NOW sound and it is one of the tracks that stands out and I love the electric guitar work in this track. I just get into this and another fantastic track follows ‘Mars’. Being an old sci-fi fan I love the story behind the song and you could easy add the name Major Tom and this could slip in with such classics from Bowie.
As for ‘Everyday (I Die A Little bit)’ this is where you hear not only the whole EP crank up some with a real powerful music arrangement but you hear the strength I talked about earlier in Juan’s vocals it really rocks.
The track ‘One More Chance’ is the first time I hear that Lennon feel and quality in Juan’s vocals all in a good way. The guitar work is amazing in this love the solo mid way really makes this track a much played one for me.
The next track ‘The Riots’ was the first self composed track I ever heard of Juan and it has a touch of Marc Bolan in the theme (Cosmic Dancer) as it touches on reincarnation.
I feel everyone has to listen to this & listen to the words and what is spooky the backing vocals by Juan is so Lennon more than before so it almost gives you an illusion of a duet.
Funny thing about ‘Ups and Downs’ the title track is it returns to the first track where you hear classic Juan acoustic sound & that clear pure vocals you cannot compare to others.
‘Morning Light’ has an almost 80s Rolling Stones in sound.
What I like about the EP is these sudden changes in sound as it shows you Baby Scream is not just about acoustic guitars. Again this features some wonderful electric guitar work.
The next track ‘Walls Crumbling Down’ goes up beat again with yet again another NOW sound it rocks, has power & vocals has that raw, rough edge.
‘Unwelcomed’ again has that touch of raw energy in Juan’s vocals & the beat varies from slow tempo to fast upbeat which works really well.
When you get to next track you just can’t believe the EP has flown by so fast ‘World from Outside’ to me has that Beatles sound which I really love and again a track you really got to follow the lyrics to enjoy it fully.
Then you get to ‘Skyway’ and cannot believe you’re at the end of the EP and it ends as it started with Juan being Juan with acoustic sound and that pure clear voice.
‘Ups and Downs’ is like a journey as you play from start to end going through many styles and if the songs were colours this EP would surely be a rainbow.

Ups and Downs – a pure delight

Buy the EP / check out the tracks at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/babyscream

Check out more Baby Scream with ‘Identity Theft’

2 comments: