AMP

AMP
Music, Albums & Gigs Reviewed

Sunday 2 January 2011

Anyone for a MOONDANCE???


No not talking Michael Jackson...


Back in July 2010 I reviewed a gig by 'The Chain' live at The Elms Worthing.
In the band I mentioned someone I already knew before seeing the concert a Steve Christopher, singer/songwriter and former singer/songwriter with 'Lorelei'

Now in my music promoting I either come across new talent or someone introduces me to them in this case it was the latter.

I am so pleased too as such a talent, such a natural on the axe a master.

Hear I will tell you not only how 'Moondance' came to be but tell you a little about the tracks on the album.

During 2010 Steve Christopher sent me a collection of songs he had written/composed & over time he often joke "hey! nearly enough for an album boy". Then the track 'Moondance' came on MP3 & the production level is so high on this with multi layers of guitars not only me but others said "should be name of the album" and what started off as banter in conversation soon became reality.

One afternoon with free time which is often rare for me I designed the cover in fact 3 versions sort of like a joke & stuck them on Steve Christopher's Facebook page saying to his friends "which one for the album cover?" and the one which is now the official cover is the one most voted by his friends & himself I may add.

It got funny as Steve said to me "well it looks like I'm making an album then" then we both got serious into making it happen.

Out of a possible 17 tracks we picked 12 & played with running order & this is what became 'Moondance by Steve Christopher...

Track one 'Sexy Baby' kicks off the album an instrumental that starts with almost acoustic country feel but soon has this amazing electric rock sound that reminds me of those classic 70's big solo's we all use to love. Much like the rest of the album it features layers of guitars that blend & sing together.
I found myself come addicted however to the next track 'Too Loud For Love' a tongue in cheek song of love sung by Steve with a feel of ZZ Top to the guitar solo. This track really rocks.

The next track 'Time For Heroes' is another instrumental and thoughts were of those endless heroes who give themselves for their country. The guitar work is so haunting on this especially on big sound system as that Brian May style guitar screams like a battle cry truely a very moving track.
The mood changes for 'In This World' acoustic/electric almost folk in style a story about search for love amoung other things. While 'Sea Breeze' is one of those songs you can close your eyes & just be there as it so has the feel of being at sea.
I remember being so impressed at Steve's axe doing impressions of wildlife as it screams like a seagul in parts so amazing & real.

'Whispered Thoughts' has some amazing acoustic work that again reminds me of real classic rock like Fleetwood Mac. The electric guitar like the rest of the album sings so beauitful.These instrumentals on this album really carry well on various players true pleasure to the ears.
The title track follows the previous track which I already talked of earlier. It is followed by 'Just To Be Me' which is a real personal track as in title it's lyrics are very much about Steve & how he feels making music. It has the lines 'I know I must keep my feet firmly on the ground, to be true to be free just to be me'.
Now the instrumental 'Labour Of Love' is much loved by many & like many other tracks on this album is very personal to Steve as he really does make the creating of music a labour of love as he puts so much of himself into these compositions.
The following track is older than many featured on 'Moondance' as I sort of requested it (he smiles). See when I first knew Steve he had not long sold a guitar he was sad to see go. This guitar he recorded himself playing before it was picked up & went off to it's new owner. This track logically was entitled 'My Old Guitar' and such a wonderful track it is too really showed how much he thought of it while listening I know sounds corny to you but listen you know what I mean.
'Murder In The First Degree' is the final vocal track of the album & Steve was shocked when I reported to him that I had feedback from people thinking it was new Status Quo due to Steve's vocals sounding so much like Francis Rosi. The guitar work on the track as like all the album is totally awesome.
The final track of 'MOONDANCE' is 'From The Hip' and when I first heard this it took me back to days of 'The Ole Grey Whistle Test' I know showing my age but was so impressed & feel it finishes the album of nicely.

MOONDANCE is an amazing journey for real music lovers especially lovers of the axe.



Check Steve Christopher out on
http://www.reverbnation.com/stevechristopher
http://www.whotune.com/Steve_Christopher
http://www.myspace.com/soundthemes
http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveChrist1
http://www.facebook.com/SteveChristopher

No comments:

Post a Comment