AMP

AMP
Music, Albums & Gigs Reviewed

Wednesday 23 June 2010

Baby Scream


Juan Pablo Mazzola AKA Baby Scream THE BOLAN COVERS


Now some may say what does Ace MegaRex know about Marc Bolan covers?
Well for the past 2 years I have been working on a CD album with one artist on Bolan covers, a download album with another & other various projects as a PR all around Marc Bolan’s music.

I first got to know the name firstly Baby Scream then later same day Juan Pablo Mazzola via a radio station CRMK Radio. I was sent these two very old recordings taken from an acetate of Marc Bolan ‘Reality’ and ‘Song for a Soldier’. The DJ at the time did not say why he sent them just to say it be a surprise later. To hear Marc Bolan and these very old Bob Dylan style recordings was a thrill as I had not heard them before. The guitar very rough almost scratchy for its age thou the vocals very clear. To say I could not wait till the 4pm radio show to find out the surprise is an understatement.
A few minutes into show the DJ tells us he has Baby Scream with him as a guest & for most part of the show in sections was his interview & music from Juan Pablo Mazzola AKA Baby Scream.
He left us waiting a bit till he played these two Bolan covers which really got my attention after all not long ago I just heard the originals for first time.
See many artists take on the classics and they all have various reasons for doing so but to take an unknown selection from an artist who has a massive back catalogue of known classics was really interesting to me especially hearing from Juan why.
When I heard ‘Reality’ and that acoustic guitar sounding so clear it made me wish more artists take on Marc’s unknown or unfinished songs. The arrangement all be it a simply one worked so well with Juan’s vocals and hearing him talk of his respect for Marc on the radio you could just tell this within the song to be true.
After hearing other tracks from Baby Scream from his two earlier EPs ‘Ups and Downs’ and ‘Identity Theft’ I could tell Juan had put some of himself into this track. There is still talk of adding maybe strings to the song but I feel even thou that will work and be fantastic it is the perfectionist within Juan coming out which I see in many good artists.
As for ‘A Song for a soldier’ how different can a song be? Again original by Marc guitar very scratchy & vocals even more in style of Dylan but the words very 60s anti Vietnam sounded very much the movement of the time it was recorded unlike many other Bolan that seem to never age. Then comes Baby Scream and to hear the intro of drums almost like a march then in comes electric guitars that have an almost late punk feel to them which is very fitting as Marc was known as Godfather of punk it gave a whole totally amazing new feel it really rocks.
What really got me too was the guitar rift at the end of the track starts off subtle then into a roar really reminded me of the classic Bolan was known for & to fade out with this guitar fits so well. It showed that Baby Scream is not an artist who just plays acoustic numbers he ROCKS too and since hearing this one track I have heard many such class numbers by him.
I personally feel the way Juan has recorded this track he has really brought it into our decade and given a today feel to it.
Both these songs affected me so much I had to write to Juan & since we have spoken much of his future ideas & direction in music.
Also these past weeks I introduced Baby Scream to an artist I work with DeafboyOne to record a duet ‘Working Class Hero’ which has amazing sound and through those two Bolan covers and a radio show I have met a real talented new friend.

Please enjoy everything that is Baby Scream - Ace MegaRex




www.babyscream.com
www.youtube.com/babyscream
www.myspace.com/babyscream

1 comment: